Mar 9, 2009

Job or no job...that is the question

Yes, I am one of the luckily part-time Wake County employees who is in limbo wondering if they have a job next year. All part-time contracts are terminating, so while my principal wants to keep me there are lots of other factors that will determine if I have a job. I am actually OK with being cut if that is what is meant to be but the uncertainty is killing me.

Luckily Paige is not very happy at her school. She is quiet and doesn't share much with her teachers. This is not the loud, dancing girl I live with. I hate to think that she goes into a shell at school. After two years, I don't think we should be having anymore crying days at drop off and we still do. She asks Scott everyday for me to pick her up early. It breaks our hearts, but when I pick her up she is happy in her silent way...playing on the playground or listening to a story at circle time. Her teachers say she is reserved but happy throughout the day. One conversation especially made me cry. At a conference I asked the teacher about Paige playing with friends, especially Sammy who she talks about a lot at home. The teacher said she does not play with others that very busy but mostly plays independently. I felt like I was kicked in the stomach. I think Paige is an observer. She sees so much and tells us so much but maybe she is not always involved.

Obviously as her mother I feel responsible for making her happy and putting her in places that help her grow. This school is awesome but is not the best place for her. So to make a long story and lots of thinking short...we have made different plans for her next year. She will be going to a local church and taking part in their transitional kindergarten program. The class is very small and one of her best friends will be there with her. I think this will help her feel more comfortable. I sure hope so! The lucky part is that this decision was in the works before the job crisis arose. I would have hated to move her if she was happy. We would have had no choice because we can't really afford her current school without my income. Her new school is less than half what we are currently paying, and she will be going five half days next year. It is all working out as well as can be expected. She is excited and I am excited for her. We will get to spend the summer together and be fancy free! I can't wait. I'll leave the rest to the higher powers and enjoy the now!

1 comment:

Amy W said...

Sorry to hear you will be leaving the money sucking school. We wish we could do the same and have had many, many discussions about it after the year Audrey has had. But for us needing a full day option, the options are much less.

Keeping my fingers crossed you get to keep your part time job!