Jan 25, 2009

Clean your room!

Why won't my kids clean their rooms without it turning me into a monster? I always offer them rewards for completing the task, but it is still never good enough. It usually ends in tears and definitely a lot of whining. I have invested in a number of things to make the cleaning easier for them such as special bins for barbies, American girl clothes, and books. I have found that my big thing is keeping the floor clean. I even bought them a special purple bin where they can put things and I am not allowed to touch them or get mad if the "stuff" in there is not in its correct place. In Tate's room the bin often becomes a house for her barbies therefore it is just another toy in her eyes. Paige thinks I'm going to get rid of the stuff in her purple bin because I have been known to bring a laundry basket into the playroom and start collecting toys that have not been put away after numerous requests. I tell the girls that the laundry basket will go to girls and boys who will take care of their toys if it is not emptied and put away. Even though I have told Paige the purple bin is special I must have scarred her because hers is usually empty. My house is far from spotless but these girls are sure giving Scott and I a run for our money to make it somewhat presentable. If it is like this at 7 and 4, what will happen in their teens. I guess by then I will learn to just close their doors and take a deep breath. For now, I am embarrassed for people to see their rooms so destroyed. Well, the woes of motherhood. I know there could be much worse things to worry about. I am so happy they are my messy girls. While the playroom was no fun cleaning up today, yesterday they cleaned their rooms and got to go to the Red Box (movie box) to pick out a movie. I even got one for me! I cleaned too!

2 comments:

stewbie2 said...

Okay, so...we are the same people, except for the fact that you are definitely more in-shape than I am, and my EX-husband's name is Scott. BUT, we do have girls that are the same ages, practically (mine are 7 and 5). I have the SAME issues with their rooms. It may be an epidemic. I'll call someone important...

3XMom said...

i feel the same way. and i keep feeling it is a losing battle